Five Tricks that Turned this Introvert into a Master at Networking Events


By Dumont Owen

 

I have struggled with being an introvert all of my life. Yet most people who meet me in a networking situation would assume that I’m an extrovert. Why? Because I have developed this little bag of tricks that I use to make it easier for me to attend networking events with confidence.

The fact is that introverts not only can network effectively; it’s a job search technique at which we can excel! So before you give up on this valuable resource, try a few of these tricks and see if they make networking events a little less intimidating and a little more effective for you.

Remember why you’re attending the event. The purpose of a networking event is to meet contacts that can become champions for your cause and/or gain you access to key individuals you need to meet to further your career campaign. Don’t “waste” time trying to meet everyone…one or two in-depth conversations with the right people can yield better results than ten “surface” conversations.

Check attendees. This is one of my favorites. Many of the events I attend list the people who have RSVP’d. I look over the list and research the attendees. I pick three to five individuals (knowing there will be some no-shows) and send them an e-mail telling them I’m looking forward to meeting them and why. This is similar to turning a “cold call” into a “warm call.” The person is expecting (even hoping) to meet you. You’ve already “touched base” with them once.

Look at the nametags. Often they will list the company or occupation of the individuals registered. If there are no nametags, you can often find a time when the registration table isn’t busy and ask the organizer or registration volunteers for recommendations on who you should meet. I’ve often found that they’ll even volunteer to introduce me.

Help others! If you can facilitate an introduction for someone you meet, offer to do so. The person you are helping may not be in a position to help you directly but they may know others who can. Paying forward by helping others in their job search will return your investment many times over.

Follow up the next day to arrange a personal meeting where you can talk on a one-to-one-basis. I love meeting people over coffee where I’m much more comfortable than in a large group setting. It’s a chance to really deepen the relationship and convert that contact into the raving fan that’s going promote my cause.

Networking is the most effective of way of creating new opportunities for employment. If you’re an introvert who’s avoiding networking events, don’t give up on this valuable resource! Try a few of these techniques from my little bag of tricks and see if they make networking easier and more productive for you in your job search.


www.linkedin.com/in/dumontowen/

No comments:

Post a Comment